Iridium 9555 Satellite Phone Rental
- Brand: Iridium
- Product Code: Iridium 9555 Sat Phone Rental
- Availability: In Stock
The Iridium Satellite Phone Rental Kits Include:
- Free Activation
- No Roaming or Long Distance charges
- Free Inbound Text Messaging
- Free Inbound Calls (caller pays for these)
- Free Technical Support
- Coverage for the Entire Planet
- Iridium Satellite Phone
- 2 Batteries
- AC Charger
- Quick Start Guide
- Carrying Case
How does the rental process work?
- Choose your rental duration (in week + extra days). Your rental starts on the day the phone is received, and ends when you give it back to FEDEX.
- Choose your airtime package. The more you pre-buy, the lower the per minute cost. Additional minutes are billed at $1.75/minute.
- Choose any optional accessories. The one time price shown is for the entire rental period.
- If you want damage insurance, check the box. Loss, theft or confiscation is not covered.
- Choose your shipping method. FedEx 2nd day is our standard shipping method.
- Choose the Return Shipping Label. This is a required item.
- Select the date you wish to receive the phone, at least one day prior to your departure date.
- Let us know if you have any special requirements for your satellite phone rental.
- Add your order to the Cart to see your total, and Check out normally.
- We will FedEx the phone to arrive at the delivery address on the date specified.
- When you finish with the phone, put it back in the box it came in, and stick on the return label. Give the box to FEDEX or drop it in a drop box.
- We will bill you for the airtime you use (in excess of what was purchased), and any extra days.
- That's all there is to it!
Frequently Asked Questions (Satellite Phone Rental FAQ)
Question: Will this phone work where I'm going?
Answer: Iridium satellite phones work anywhere in the world, as long as you have an open clear view of the sky. Note: You can not take this phone to Cuba, North Korea or India without government permission.
Question: Will this phone work inside a boat/car/airplane/house?
Answer: No. The satellite phone antenna must have a direct line of sight to the satellite. You can connect an external antenna if needed.
Question: When does the rental period start and end?
Answer: The rental starts on the day you receive the phone, and ends on the day you give it back to FEDEX for return shipment.
Question: How long will the battery last?
Answer: It will last about 30 hours in standby mode (on but not talking on it). It will last for about 2 hours of talk time.
Question: Are incoming calls free?
Answer: Yes, they are free to the sat phone, but the caller will be charged by their local phone company for an international call. A caller can first dial Iridium's Arizona number and end enter the sat phone number to avoid the international call. This is known as 2-stage dialing, and the charges are then billed to the satellite phone at $1.99/min. We recommend have your callers send a free text message to the sat phone instead.
Question: Can I send and receive text messages with a satellite phone?
Answer: Yes. Incoming text messages from the Iridium.com website are free. Outbound text messages are billed to the satellite phone at jQuery.75/each.
Question: Can I connect to the internet with a satellite phone.
Answer: Yes, but is so slow, about 1/20th of dial-up speed, that it is mostly useless. You need a data kit to do this.
Question: Can I call other satellite phone carriers like Inmarsat, Thuraya and Globalstar?
Answer: Calls from an Iridium rental phone to other satellite carriers like Inmarsat, Thuraya and Globalstar are very expensive. These guys do not play together nicely. Your cost will be $9 per minute for this type of call. Just don't do it! This service is best used to call cell phones, landlines, or other Iridium phones.
Technical Specifications for Iridium Phones:
- Dimensions: 143 mm (L) x 55 mm (W) x 30 mm (D)
- Phone Weight: 266g (9.4 oz)
- Complete Kit Weight 465g (2.5 lbs) (phone, 2 batteries, wall charger, international adapters, canvas bag)
- Standby time: Up to 30 hours
- Talk time: Up to 2 hours
- Integrated speakerphone
- Two-way SMS and short email capability